Saturday, January 23, 2016

Peru 2015 - Aguas Calientes & Machu Picchu & Ollantaytambo (08 Dec 2015)

   The trains from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes are operated by IncaRail and PeruRail. Both are considered some of the most expensive railway per mile in the world. Nevertheless, I have to admit that the scenery along the train ride was amazing.

   The train went along Urumbamba River and was parallel to some parts of the Inca Trail. The nice thing about travelling to South America is that South Americans are generally more extroverted and for those who can afford to travel, they are usually very educated and are interested in the outside world. I was lucky to sit by a woman who worked as a travel agency in Puno. She was travelling to Machu Picchu with her daughter and we had some nice conversations on various topics, and I thought that was a good cultural exchange with local people.
The statue in Aguas Calientes

   Aguas Calientes is a small town that existed only because of Machu Picchu. The town was fairly pretty, because it was at the valley on Urubamba River, and one could constantly hear the water. It was easy to walk around and has a population of about 1800. I was told that everything was overpriced in Aguas Calientes because its location is very remote, and everything has to be shipped by rail. My guess is that there are different prices on merchandise that are being sold to the tourists and Peruvians.

   I stayed in a place called Pirwa Hostel, which was almost the farthest hostel away from Machu Picchu. The hostel was very empty and I ventured out on Avenida Pachucutec for some dinner. I ended up at a place called Dolce Gourmet and they offered a variety of vegetarian tourist/typical menus for S/.15 including soup, salad, and segundo. It was good and I walked around the residential part of Aguas Calientes before I headed back to the hostel.

   There were two boring tourists (Gringos!) in my room after 10PM, and they wanted to drink more before they were heading up to Machu Picchu and I thought it was the foolish idea ever but it's their trip, not mine. I headed to sleep and I expected myself to get up at 4:30'ish AM.

   I got up at 5:00 and I thought I should had gotten up earlier. I had the brief breakfast and I dashed out to Machu Picchu after I checked out. The sun was already out and I was too stingy to spend S/.50 on a short bus trip so I decided to hike 500 meters up to Machu Picchu.

   The hike was really nice and I was stopped by two friendly and young security guards to check my tickets when I arrived the station in front of the bridge. They asked for my ticket and I told them I had a reservation. They went through all the trouble to check the tickets with the tourist office for me and there was none. I had to go back to Plaza de Armas to buy the ticket and the ticket for Machu Picchu and the mountain. The security guards actually saved me a lot of trouble for climbing up 500m to the entrance of Machu Picchu only to get rejected right at the entrance.

   The hike from Aguas Calientes to the entrance of Machu Picchu was pretty exhausting, but I was hiking around the very green and lush forest so it was not too bad. It was about 8:20 by the time I hiked up to the top. Luckily I hung out with a couple from Chile so time went by easier. I personally liked to chat with the South American travellers. They don't tend to be as stuck up as some American tourists and they are friendly and nice.

   There are many tourist guides around Machu Picchu should anyone needed more explanation on different parts of sites. They will solicit for business and  It turned out that it was a mistake to climb to the mountain. The mountain was 500 meters above the ruin of Machu Picchu and the climb was quite steep. I met many European travellers on the hike to Machu Picchu mountain. The weather was very foggy in the morning and the only thing I can see from the top of the mountain was the sign itself.
The sign entitles you the bragging right
   I walked down with slightly disappointment. I met two Brazilian couple from São Paulo, Thiago and Meg. We walked around the ruin for about two hours and chatted in many different topics. They were very intelligent people and invited me to visit them in São Paulo if I have a chance. We parted away when they decided it to take a rest in Aguas Calientes, while I was busy taking pictures of Machu Picchu, after the majority of tourists were gone. It was very fun. I hung out until 5, then I took the hike down, went to the butterfly house, and took the train back to Ollantaytambo.
`
I took the classical shot of Machu Picchu
 
More shots of Machu Picchu
  
The residential llamas are so used to people
   In the train I met a group of recently graduated college students from Piura. They were very talkative and we talked about different topics again. We exchanged contact information and I went to take a rest at the hostel.

 

No comments: